Sunday, August 16, 2009

Chess in Concert - drop the newspaper and put it in the DVD Player!

Oh my god, I'm in love!

I am IN LOVE with Chess In Concert!

Earlier this year they did a concert version of the original concept album for Chess and taped it. It was on PBS when it first released as part of their "Great Performances" and I missed it because I don't have a DVR, VCR or Cable - I suck, I know!

But it came yesterday via Netflix and I have to tell you I've listened to it 4 times already. I love it love it love it love it.

I was always intrigued by this show because it has lyrics by Tim Rice (who collaborated with Andrew Lloyd Webber a lot) and Benny and whats his name from Abba!

Yes that's right, the Abba Musical. It never made it big, which is sad because it's actually a very interesting show. One time when I lived in Atlanta I had a roommate who was an electronic musician and wrote the orchestration for this show on his computer and I "ran the sound board" for the show.....or was it wait 'The Secret Garden' which is also a pretty interesting show....whatever.

This performance is phenomenal, Idina Menzel, Josh Groban, Adam Pascal and so many other amazing performers put on a complete concert of the show with a full orchestra, back up dancers, and a full chorus - and it was taped at the Royal Albert Hall (and you know that's fancy).

The very interesting thing I find though is that how some parts of it are so familiar, there are several parts that sounds almost like Evita and other parts that are complete riffs from Abba but before you can quite place it, they're gone. It's almost like how Sunset Boulevard sounds very similar to Aspects of Love in some places.

Ok, I'm done typing, gotta get back and continue watching CHESS!

No comments: