Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The First Thanksgiving

Since the Holiday Season is now upon us, I thought I’d tell you a little story about The First Thanksgiving. ‘ No not “The” first Thanksgiving and not “My” first Thanksgiving but the First Thanksgiving I ever made.

Picture it, Columbus, OH – November 1990. I had just moved from my parents house in PA 8 short months before and my family (sister included) agreed to drive to Columbus to have Thanksgiving at my “college apartment”

I was all excited about having my first Thanksgiving in my new home with my family, for weeks in advance I prepared. I made the menu I made the shopping list, I pined over what dishes should I use (plastic or paper) and what wine to serve (box or MD 20/20) finally the time arrived. I knew that it was going to be a chore cooking on my apartment sized stove (it was half the size of a regular stove), but I was ready for the challenge.

My parents and sister arrived on Wednesday night and spent the night at a Knight’s Inn (are they still around) about 5 miles from home.

Thanksgiving morning I got up early and prepared my bird and got it in the oven. About 2 hours after the bird had been in the oven, the unimaginable happened…..the electric went out….and I had an electric stove.

A call to the electric company made me aware that a motorist had hit a pole and that approximately 1000 people in my area were without electricity.

What’s a boy to do?

Well I met my family and we had a fun shopping experience at Meijers and a great breakfast at The Waffle House.

By the time we got done shopping the power was back on the turkey was cooking and we had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I hope that your Thanksgiving (if you’re celebrating one) is wonderful and exciting and that your electricity doesn’t go off a few hours after you put your turkey in the oven!

Have a great holiday (and for those of you outside the US – Have a Great Thursday)

2 comments:

Karen said...

Very impressive! I only made my first turkey two years ago when I didn't go home for Thanksgiving for the very first time. Even without a power failure, I was pretty pleased with myself!

Kat said...

How cool! I'm cheating this year, my turkey, one sidedish, and one dessert are from the Honeybaked Ham store (we had a gift certificate). But I'm making the cornbread dressing from scratch! We just have a small crowd anyway.

Happy Turkey Day!