Thursday, April 03, 2008

Champagne makes me drowsy

Last night was Show #2 in the Broadway in Chicago Series, it was the exciting show Drowsy Chaperone

I had the distinct pleasure of taking a friend with me who had never been to a Broadway Musical before. The Drowsy Chaperone was a great first musical for anyone to see, it's flashy, there's lots of singing, jokes, laughing, dancing and even tap dancing.

I wish that I could tap dance, but I'm so uncoordinated, my left foot barely knows what it's doing let alone know what the right foot is doing, but a girl can dream can't he?

The premise behind TDC is pretty unique, it starts out with a guy sitting in his apartment listening to records, specifically a recording of the 1928 smash hit - The Drowsy Chaperone. As he's listening to the record the action unfolds in his apartment as the show is recreated.

It was one of the cleverest shows I've seen in a long time. It played up all of the stereotypes of the old style musical, but at the same time making fun of it with current context.

It recently closed in NYC after 674 performances and 13 Tony Nominations. Even though this was the first time I saw the show, several of the original actors are with the touring company, including Georgia Engel (you may know her better as Georgette from The Mary Tyler Moore Show or Everyone Loves Raymond), she recreated the role that she originated on Broadway and she was hilarious; Jonathan Crombie, who was "the man in the chair" didn't originate that part on Broadway but did perform it for a little while; Andrea Chamberlain (the female lead) was an understudy on broadway but was amazing in this performance.

If you want to see a funny, hilarious, campy show go see this one.

Thank goodness I took my friend to this one because the next show in a few weeks is Sweeney Todd and goodness knows there's nothing soft, fluffy and pretty about that show at all. Although I am excited about that show because it is the John Doyle version, and a few years ago when I was in NYC we saw the John Doyle versioin of Company.

1 comment:

Andrea Knapp said...

TDC was here in Cleveland but it was the same time as the Lion king and well, I'm sorry but the Lion King won out,........

Maybe next time. I have heard nothing but good things about it though!