Thursday, June 23, 2005

Reading

I've been trying to read more, by major influence from the boyfriend. He rides the train to work everyday so he has about an hour each way where he has time to read. Me, I drive to work, a whole 10 minutes in the car, so my reading time has to be carved out of my other "free time."

Typically I enjoy reading when I'm traveling (which I've been doing a lot of lately) because I know that I'll have a 2-4 hour time period where I can be uninterrupted and read, but at the same time, not really have anything else to do. Catch my drift?

So here are some of the books I've read recently:

- The Botany of Desire
- The Secret Life of Bee's
- The DaVinci Code
- The Chronicles of Narnia

The Botany of Desire - what an interesting book, four short stories about how botany has been desired by Man. The Apple - (Sweetness) to make applejack and to help settle the west. The Tulip (Beauty) - how they manipulated it to make it more beautiful. The Potato (control) - how we have used gene splicing to control nature. and Marijuana (Intoxication). I want to re-read it again.

The Secret Life of Bee's - a story about a little girl growing up in the old south who tries to discover herself and her dead mother at the same time.

The DaVinci Code - I got tired of the paperback version never coming out, I don't want to hear it from you.

The Chronicles of Narnia - I've had the boxed set of this book since I've been a kid. The books have a price of $2.95 each on them, so you know how old they are. I've not read this since I was probably 9 or 10 and I'm enjoying re-reading them so much. They just go much more quickly now than I remember, but perhaps I was a slow reader back then.

So what are you reading now?

2 comments:

Kat said...

I have wanted to get the Narnia books for a while for my daughter. Of course, I will have to read them first to make sure they are age appropriate. (I used the same excuse to read all the Harry Potter books!)

I'm not currently reading anything, but I have recently been catching up on Patricia Cornwell's books.

Ms Mac said...

I was reading Not All Tarts Are Apple but I have succumbed to the power of trash mags lately. Perhaps I'll start it again on Monday!