Thursday, September 11, 2008

7 Years Ago?

My how time flies......I can't believe that it's been 7 years since the fall of the World Trade Center.


I remember the time I went to the WTC, I had to have been 17, maybe 18, it was the first time that my girlfriend and I went to NYC - yes you read that correctly - My Girlfriend.


We were so naive about NYC, we were afraid of the subway and had no idea how to "take a taxi" so we walked all over the city in a day. We walked from Rockefeller Center all the way to the World Trade Center where we took the elevators all the way to the top and was amazed at how high we were. We then walked to Wall Street, through Chinatown and up through SoHo.


We walked SO much that day, but what were two country kids supposed to do that were afraid of the city? We walked through some bad neighborhoods but didn't care because it was better than the Subway. The first time I rode the subway I was with my friend Margaret, who grew up in Brooklyn, and she was sorely disappointed that the lights didn't go out during our trip...I on the other hand was ELATED that the lights didn't go out - I was such a corn husker back then!


I remember 9/11/01 just as clearly. I was in the office early and was in a meeting with my boss and a co-worker. The phone rang, my boss answered it, spoke for a few moments and said "Oh, Ok" and hung up the phone. "Apparently a plane hit a building in NYC." We carried on with our meeting. The phone rang again, "What, another plane hit...ok....ok...hey I'm in a meeting I'll call you back when I'm free." About that time we were speculating that it must have been a small plane that hit a building. Just then a co-worker walked in and said "A plane crashed into the World Trade Center."


We jumped from our seats and tried to get on the internet to find out what was going on.....we could not get anywhere, everything was at a standstill, pages were taking forever to load, it seemed as though everyone was trying to find out the same information. As the reality of it all sunk in, we were worried for ourselves being in Chicago and near the Sears Tower. It's hard to believe that it was 7 years ago.

So a moment of silence for all of those who were lost in the tragedy.

So where/what were you doing 7 years ago?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was in the middle of an ISO 9002 preaudit meeting near Munich when a CNN Breaking News email came in about the first plane. I didn't think much about it at that point either. When the email about the second plane got in, we quit the meeting and also tried to find out was going on. At some point later news broke about the pentagon and after some trying I managed to get my mom in Maryland on the phone. She was shaken up but had no further news either. It took a few hours for us to get the big picture as there were no TVs in the office and the internet had become incredibly slow.
A moment of silence, yes.

Andrea Knapp said...

I was trying to get in touch with my boss who was mid-flight to Florida I think. He called screaming at me to call the airlines to find out why his flight had been diverted then kinda meekly apologized when I told him why.

It IS hard to believe that was 7 years ago.

Anonymous said...

I first heard a "special report" from the morning radio disc jockey station that my alarm clock was tuned into. I could tell something was different, because he was all serious and his voice was shaking. I then turned on our local SoCal TV station, just as the second plane hit the WWC.
I think I was shocked, because, I thought, I'm late to work, gota go. I sat at my office looking to get info on the internet, and my boss at the time, came over to those that showed up to work, and said we can go home if we want. So I did.
I remember I stayed up until 4AM just watching live coverage at "ground zero", and on the Spanish language channel, they showed horrifying videos of the jumpers, which the English TV news did not show. I wish I had not seen that. I thought, okay, were going to war... and days later, the country was bombing away. God bless those brave souls who lost their lives.

On a different note.... You had a girlfriend????????? What?????? Please tell us more!!! What was it like???? Were you engaged? Could it happen again? Did you have any kids? Sorry, but I am in shock. This is like another 9/11 moment for me. :-)

David said...

I was in Econ when the first attack happened. After the class was over, I went back to the dorm to catch some more sleep. It was a Tuesday and my next class was until much later in the day. Shortly after getting back into bed, my roommate who normally would be at class at this time came barging in and turned on the TV. Then I saw the coverage.

He had told me that his class was cut short when his professor's wife interrupted the class and told him that he wasn't going to be going to New York. Not because of groundings but because she said so.

Until the vigil was held that night, I spent the rest of the day glued to the TV at the AFROTC detachment.

The Big Finn said...

Mrs. TBF and I were on vacation in Rhodes. I walked up to a kiosk to buy a couple of bottles of water, and I looked up at a little TV and saw they had on CNN.

"Hey...there's a fire at the World Trade Center!"