Friday, July 20, 2007

Life is a Cabaret

One of the great things about living in the city is being able to enjoy all of the culture that surrounds us.

No, I'm not talking about the crazy people standing on the street corners yelling at you or the graffiti that litters the alleyways. I'm talking about the "real" cultural things in the city, like the Harold Washington Library

Where I got my first library card as an adult....hmmm...I guess having and using a Library Card are different aren't they?

But there are also a lot of other things in the city like The Taste of Chicago which is the countries Largest Food Event - you never know what you're going to get there, you could be like more than 500 people this year that were lucky enough to catch salmonella poisoning from a stand, but then again do you really catch salmonella like you do a baseball?

Or you have exciting events like Out At The Ball Game - which is basically Gay Day at Wrigley Field. Well almost Gay Day because we only have one small section of the park, but still it's Gay Day! I organized a big group of guys (36 of us) to go to the Game this year and we had a blast. Apparently we got our mugs in one of the local gay rags - I can only hope it was when we were sober. Please don't ask me anything about the game, all I know is that the Cubs were playing someone from out of town - that is my extent of Baseball Knowledge.

Although there are a few other things that I recently found out while I was at the park. There were three different types of hotdogs that they sold in the stands. $3.00 Standard Hotdogs, $3.50 Jumbo Hotdogs and $3.75 Kosher Hotdogs. But answer me this....why are the Kosher Hotdogs more, is it because they're Jewish?

One other disappointing thing I found out is that you almost always run out of Cheez before you run out of Nachos, why? I think there should be a guy walking around selling extra cheese, god knows I would have paid a buck for it!


One of the other great things about living in the City is "Movies in the Park" Chicago has a "big" Outdoor Film Festival that just started this last Tuesday with Young Frankenstein, but I'm not talking about that one....the one I'm talking about is the one where they come to the local parks and set up a big inflatable screen with speakers and let everyone sit on the grass and watch a movie.

Last night we had the pleasure of watching Cabaret while we sat on the grass (remind me next time I should take the Aerobed) wrapped in our blankets with the lake at our backs, the city skyline in front of us and the stars above us. In celebration of the indeterminable Liza Minelli I made sure that I had a nice strong cocktail with me and a few pills at my side just in case they were needed.

There was a small group of us that went over and enjoyed watching the movie and shouting out lines where we thought they would be most inappropriate. The best part was at the very end of the movie someone had a laser pointer and since the movie was shown with closed captioning it turned into a big Sing Along.

Life is a Cabaret old friend!

Enjoy it while you can, because you never know when it will be over.

2 comments:

The Big Finn said...

I read about the salmonella incident, and I was surprised to read that it was the first major food poisoning outbreak in the history of T of C; pretty impressive for a food festival that takes place in Chicago in July!

By the way...
How did the trough end up working for you at Wrigley?

Anonymous said...

Hi, Michael! I'm not able to join you for the Wizard of Oz at Berger... but I'm toying with the idea of going to see Breakfast at Tiffany's at Montrose Beach this Thursday! I'll let you know! Hugz, ~D