Friday, August 24, 2007

You wouldn't believe me if I told you

But I'm going to tell you anyway!

Guess who I met this week? Nope......ah no.....oh I wish..ok I'll tell you!

I got to meet another Blogger IRL, is that not amazing!

A few weeks back I got an email from The Big Finn that he and Mrs. TBF were going to be passing through Chicago and they wanted to meet up for dinner. I always get excited when people from foreign lands want to break bread with me, it makes me want to go out and read all of the Miss Manners books to make sure I'm acting properly, but then I forget about it and realize that they read this blog so it's not going to do any good.

We exchanged a few emails and text messages and confirmed up the place and time, a relatively new BBQ joint called Smoque that had recently been reviewed in the April issue of Gourmet Magazine (That's where TBF found it). I dutifly arrived just a few minutes late (thanks to lovely Chicago Traffic) and waited in line to place our orders.

It was BYOB but unfortunately I have a rule against drinking and driving, it's not that I can't drink and drive it's just that "I'm just a girl that cain't say no." and once I've started drinking, I've got to continue until someone passes out or throws up - whichever comes first! And TBF was stocked to the gills with a styrofoam cooler filled with exotic elixirs that included Chipotle Beer, German Beer, Wine and some Gnasty Smoked Beer (remember the last time you drank beer out of an ashtray? Well that's what it tasted like, honest.)

Mr. & Mrs. TBF brought along one of their college buddies and his adorable wife (who just happened to be a Vegetarian - yes we all got a good laugh out of that one).

As we were waiting in line Mrs. TBF said that she had a surprise, another Blogger was meeting us for dinner.....and not just any blogger but a blogger from across the pond. A blogger from Madrid!

Shortly after that announcement the door opened and in walked Sal DeTraglia once after I got over my excitment of being able to add another blogger to my "list of bloggers I've met in person" I quickly asked for his autograph and confirmed that he was a heterosexual - DAMN!!!!! Why are all the good ones straight?!?

Dinner was amazing, we sat next to a table of Chicago's Finest while we gnawed on bones from cows and pigs that gave up their lives willingly for us. We talked about "What is this blogging thing?" and "You mean you've met other people this way?" to the State of the Union and why the baked macaroni there was the best I have ever eaten (Please don't tell my Mom she would be rather upset because up until this time hers was the best ever).

The owner of the place came over and stole one of TBF's beers and brought us a tray of "Deep Fried Corn Bread" and was amazed that half of the table was from "over there." The food was amazing and I'll definitely go back and if you live in the Chicago area you should put it on your list!

Around 9:30 we decided to leave, only to find out that the place closed at 9:00 - I guess they were afraid to kick us out. We all said our goodbyes and I got in my car and headed back to my little city house!

I always love meeting Bloggers!

3 comments:

Karen said...

What do you mean why are the good ones straight? We here in the other camp must confirm that it is infact the opposite which is true ... except, of course, for a few notable exceptions!

Anyway, darn you for contributing to my current procrastination ... le grand menage.

The Big Finn said...

I must give credit where credit is due - Mrs. TBF spotted Smoque in Gourmet magazine.

We had fun seeing you again. Sorry it was such a short get-together, but I guess it was a school night.

Mrs. TBF said...

Michael,
So glad you were able to join...even though it was a short get together. And...might I say you are looking rather svelt these days!!!!
See you on the next trip!
Ciao