Saturday, August 02, 2008

The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor - A Five Word Review

Predictible Story, Cool Special Effects

We went to see the new Brendan Fraiser movie - The Mummy - Tomb of the Dragon Emperor movie last night.

Let's just say that I knew walking into the theater that I was not going to see an Oscar winning movie/performance, and I got exactly what I was looking for.

The Mummy was predictible, but then what do you expect, there's only so many ways the story can go. The scenery and cinematography were beautiful, it's wonderful to see a landscape that you're not used to seeing in all of the other movies, the action was good (although a little contrite) and some of the dialog was poor (uhm, why did Maria Bello keep losing her English accent?) and some of the plot devices (uhm, Yeti) were a little silly and some parts (uhm, Brendan Fraisier with his shirt off, yum) were good. The one thing that I really appreciated about this movie was that after they had the first big "chase" and the Mummy was running through Shanghi and beating the crap out of the stars....the next thing they showed were the stars apply ice packs and drinking to cover up the pain of what they went through - unlike some movies that want you to think that their stars are super human.

But the movie kept me entertained throughout, you knew what was going to happen but then I would have been disappointed if something different would have happened.

This movie has been getting bad reviews - but then I don't like to listen to those guys becuase they don't know the kinds of movies that I really like, so thumbs down to them!

About 3/4 of the way through the movie, I really had to pee, but I was afraid to get up and go to the bathroom in case I missed anything (for the record, I did get up and go pee during Batman - and I loved Batman).

If you're looking for a fun Sunday afternoon movie, this is it!

The only complaint that I have about the movie, is not even with the movie itself, it's with the trailers that they showed. They were the exact same trailers that I saw last week when we went to see Batman - The Dark Knight...what's up with that AMC 12 in Evanston?

2 comments:

Andrea Knapp said...

I can't believe I haven't been to the movies in AGES!

Next week I am seeing Mamma Mia (slated in the reviews but who cares), The Dark Knight and Swing Vote.

Nothing else on I want to see. I'll wait till this JTTCOE comes out on DVD...... (God I almost typed video! What's THAT all about? LOL)

Pete said...

next time you have to pee during a movie, use the empty soda/popcorn cup. it works like a charm.

i would see the mummy 3, but it can't be the same without rachel weisz. i love her!