Thursday, March 31, 2005

It's that time of year again.

It's that time of year again.

No, not Spring, Annual Review Time at work!

We've got this crazy way that we review here. The company I work for is a subsidiary of a UK company, so perhaps that’s how they do it on the other side of the pond.

The process we use is a bit convoluted, there’s a form that the employee fills out, there’s a form that the manager fills out and then there’s feedback form that other employees fill out about your performance. So basically everyone is working on everyone else’s review because of the feedback. I swear this year I must have gotten 8 of these feedback forms, I’m about ready to stop working with other members of the company so I don’t need to fill them out on an annual basis.

Then after all the forms are filled out, you have a meeting with your manager and you “talk” about what should be on your review, then your manager goes back, writes up the final review, you meet again to go over that (even though it’s the same thing as you talked about at the first meeting) after all of that, your manager assigns a “grade” to your review and sends it off to HR.

HR then uses this totally unreliable matrix to “assign” your merit raise; your manager doesn’t even get to do it.

So I hope that you have a Great Annual Review at your workplace and you get a big raise, you deserve it.
By the way, today is my 4 year Anniversary with my company. One more year and I get 3 more days of vacation, YEAH!

No comments: