Wednesday, December 27, 2006

You know you're getting old

Several weeks back I was out having a drink with some friends and as it usually ends up, we start talking about "the good old days" You know, the 80's and 90's, I was lamenting that the poster by the door of the liquor establishment said that you had to have been born before 1985 in order to purchase or consume alcoholic beverages.

Damn - I remember 1985! Really I do! That's what really sucks, I was a sophomore in High School and these kids who are now legal to drink were just being pushed out of their mothers Vah-Jay-Jay! My god am I getting old.

Well of course when it gets to the talk of "I'm getting old" it always gets to the point of "Oh no, I'm younger than you".

My piece de resistance statement went something like this "I was in my 20's in the 90's, I'm not that old." At which point one of the other revelers said, "Yeah , I was in my 20's in the 90's too." So since we had something in common we clinked our glasses and toasted to our good fortune. His next statment almost made me spit out my cocktail (and we all know that THAT is true Alcohol Abuse) "Yeah, I was 20 in 1999"

What did he just say? I looked dejectedly at him and said, "Well I sort of meant it the other way, I was 21 in 1990"

I guess the 90's was a long decade wasn't it? God I'm getting old!

5 comments:

Andrea Knapp said...

The other morning (on 3rd shift) we were watching infomercials for some 60's CD sets, and they had people who had bought the CD sets and we were all "OMG, they are soooo old!" yet there we were, singing the songs, word for word and being "Remember when.....?"

But at least we are growing old together Michael!

Michael Lehet said...

Andi - That's hilarious!!! But how true. Another way to know you're getting old is when the songs you grew up with are suddenly "Classics"

You're right though, we're growing old TOGETHER!

Anonymous said...

mean people you! I am not getting old. no.

heh.

And you totally did this post so you could use Vah Jay-jay didn't you?? lol...

Michael Lehet said...

XM am i that transparent?

Anonymous said...

lol.. hell iwas trying to think of a post to use it. hehe..