Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness - A Review

Can you blieve it, they actually showed us a movie on the airplane…..and a recent movie at that, not one that was released in 1978. It’s been a while since I’ve been on a flight that was more than 4 hours so I’m not used to seeing entertainment of such caliber.

The plane didn’t have those nice little personal video screens like I hear they have on JetBlue, instead it had the monitors mounted to the middle of the ceiling over the aisle, and since I chose to sit by a window I could only see two-thirds of the screen without leaning over and sniffing my neighbors hair – which I can tell you did not go over well with her, perhaps if it would have been her husband sitting there it may have been different.

The show started with a review by Ebert & Roper only it was Roper and that Aieisha Taylor girl from Comedy Central instead of Ebert. Me and my seatmates bundled up together and got ready to enjoy the show.

I’d been wanting to see this movie – but didn’t want to buy it so I was looking forward to the next two hours of free movie watching.

Long credits……lots of panning……lots of credits….music cuts out……finally some talking.

About 10 minutes into the show the sound goes off abruptly, I fiddled with the headphone jack and realized my seatmates couldn’t hear either. But then the sound came back on…..and went off again.

We at least got to the part of the movie where you understood why the word Happyness is spelled with a y instead of an I, so that is good.

When the sound didn’t come back on we realized that our row was the only row without sound – how amazing is that. So we decided to join arms and sing Christmas carols instead…..no….we made friends with the flight attendants and got free cocktails since we were the only ones not watching the movie or sleeping.

At first we tried to figure out what was going on….ok he can solve the Rubik’s Cube….ok he can read a sign looking for help…..some lady steals his thing (not his Thing Thing…the thing he’s trying to sell) and then we got bored and decided to drink full time instead, but we couldn’t stop watching the movie even though we know we had no idea what was going on. Although I think we had all seen the previews enough times that we did actually know what was going on.

After a while thought even that became boring and we just decided to either sleep, chat or even read a book.
Next time I say that I want to see a movie I need to be more explicit and say that I want to “See AND Hear” the movie.

1 comment:

Andrea Knapp said...

I am unsure about wanting to watch this movie. I know it will be be depressing, and make me sad even though he obviously triumphs in the end..... Can I go through all that anxiety?

Hhhhmmm, not so sure.