Saturday, May 12, 2007

Albert Brooks

For some reason I like Albert Brooks, you know the comedic actor? He was in Taxi and Defending your Life with Meryl Streep, my favorite line from that movie is when they go to the Past Lives Pavilion and Meryl sees that she was a princess, blah blah blah and she asks Albert what he was he says “Lunch.” That’s funny.

Whenever I mention that I like Albert Brooks people say “Really?” you know with that scrunched up face that looks like they just bit into a lemon? I thought he was hilarious in Mother with Debbie Reynolds, again my favorite line: on the phone “Oh, I have another call let me get it. --- click --- hello? It’s still me Mother, oh ok, hold on ----click ---- hello, it’s still me mother, oh hold on --- click --- Hello? Mother, why do you pay for this feature?” Oh classic…classic.

But I’m sitting here at the kitchen table, surfing the web and watching this OLD Albert Brooks movie (he’s got to be in his early 30’s) and it is atrocious. I don’t even know what the hell is going on, but Super Dave Osborne was just on selling him running gear – and it was painful.

Now I know why people give me that scrunched up face when I say that I like Albert Brooks….it’s because they saw these old Albert Brooks movies that were just terrible.

I’m glad to see that he has grown as an Comedic Actor, because if this movie was my first introduction to him, I would probably be one of those people that schrunches up his face at the mention of Albert Brooks.

Oh yeah I looked up the movie, it was Modern Romance oh god that was painful!

4 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Well, of course, Albert Brooks was funny as Richard Ripley in my favourite movie of all time, Out of Sight.

So I agree with you.

Mrs. TBF said...

We both love the one where he and his wife "drop out" and buy a mobile home and then she loses the "nest egg" in Vegas - what was that one called - Lost in America??? It's a fave!

The Sour Kraut said...

I really like the movie Modern Romance. TMS does too. Maybe it's the kind that you have to watch more than once.

Bobby The C said...

Michael, Albert Brooks is the greatest. I say give Modern Romance another try. It is so painful to watch that I love it.