Wednesday, February 07, 2007

BRRRRRRR It's winter in Chicago

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

It is so freaking cold here. If it weren't for summer I would have moved from this blasted city years ago. Just a few weeks ago, like less than 6, we were complaining that it was Christmas time and the weather was in the 50's....we knew that winter was going to bear down on us, but not as bad as it's really been!

I know I shouldn't bitch because there are people in colder climes than mine, but I'm going to anyway because this is rediculous......we've not been above freezing for more than a week, in fact I can't remember the last time we had temps in the double digits.

The other morning we woke up and the thermometer said it was -9 outside, I tried to take a picture of it - but my camera froze - so you'll have to take my word for it. When I went to drive my car I could barely get the thing in first gear. The furnace was running for almost 24 hours straight and the temperature in the house was 63 degrees.....indoors.....with the furnace running.......It's so cold that I actually look forward to going to work where I know they have to keep us warm, I actually asked my boss to assign me more work so that I could work long hours. I also figured it would help out this summer when I wanna take some time off.

Here's how you can tell it's winter in Chicago:

- When you get close to the window you can see your breath.
- It only takes you 10 minutes to walk to the store, even though the trip normally takes 20.
- You have goose bumps all of the time, you look like a plucked chicken.
- To go outside you dress in so many layers that you end up looking like Ralphi's little brother.
- Ice Cream Headaches without the ice cream - 'nuf said!
- When you wake up your bedside glass of water is empty and you tongue still feels like the Sahara desert.
- The Acurite Atomic clock/thermometer that hangs on an outside wall is running 5 minutes slow and you just put new batteries in it.
- When you walk outside you almost pass out after taking your first breath.
- After you've been outside for more than a minute the hairs in your nose freeze and feel like toothpicks, the same goes for your goatee (if you have one)

Damn Gina, it's fucking cold!

4 comments:

Andrea Knapp said...

"It only takes you 10 minutes to walk to the store, even though the trip normally takes 20."

Funny funny funny........ I know about cold!

Ditsy Bint said...

Tell me about it .... I've put on 5lbs in the last few weeks as I've been unable to walk the pups (anything more than a couple of degrees below freezing is just too cold for my 6lbs Yorkies) its driving all of us nuts.

Gonna be a good week at least before they can step outside *cry*

Mr. Urs said...

On Sunday, Toño and I will fly to Siberia. Unfortunately, they have kind of a heat wave now with -47. Last week it was in the -70es. I hope it will drop again. There is nothing like a real winter.

The Big Finn said...

You forgot about the phenomenon of breathing in through your nose and having your snot freeze up!