Tuesday, May 06, 2008

I'm just another statistic now

I was Hate Crimed this afternoon!

My friend David and I go for a walk out to the lake at least 3 times a week. This afternoon as we were walking out of his house this group of young guys walking behind us started saying things.

At first I wasn't paying attention because even though they were talking louder than need be, I had no interest in what they were saying. But then I heard fucking faggot. I looked at my friend and said "Did I just hear what I thought I heard?"

Then there were about four more faggots thrown and fucking neighborhood and "yeah I'm talking to you, you faggots"

Now this is all going on during the end of rush hour on a fairly busy street, granted we were the only ones within ear shot but there were people walking on the other side of the street and there were people walking towards us.

We didn't turn around, because I didn't want to give them the satisfaction of "outing me" but at the same time I so wanted to turn around and say something, but I didn't know how many of them there were, I felt there was no reason to put us in harms way so we just ignored them.

Which I think pissed them off even more, Good! I reached in my pocket dialed 911 and told the operator that I wanted to report a hate crime that was going on right now and asked if she'd stay on the phone. As we kept walking and moving towards people the cowards who were behind us turned onto the side street and kept walking.

I'm so mad right now, mad that I didn't do something more, mad that in this day and age two guys walking down the street get harrassed. And it wasn't like we were hugging and kissing or even touching, we had just walked out of his house and minding our own business. In fact when we walked out of the house I didn't even look in their direction (ergo the reason I didn't know how many of them there were and there was no way that I was going to turn around.

I knew they wouldn't attempt to do anything in the middle of the day, except throw out their "words" but it still frightens me, what if they had? What if they tried to jump us in the middle of the day in front of people?!?

I'm just out of words.....our world is so sad!

15 comments:

Ms Mac said...

Why do people have to be such ignorant fuckheads?

OKCFireplug said...

Sorry to hear about your experience yesterday. However, I don't think that there is much more that you could have done. Honestly, your response of ignoring them was probably the best as it may teach them that no one is really listening to them anyways.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry you had to experience that. Whenever things like that happen to me, I try to remember that intolerance is the sign of a small and ignorant mind. You were right in what you did, they only wanted some "reason" to escalate things. You were the mature person in this.

Ice John's World said...

Sorry about what happened, Michael. Like Shane said, you did the right thing to ignore them. Just treat them as some drunk idiots had nothing better to do in the life. You should not waste your energy on getting angry with them.

Andrea Knapp said...

I feel physically sick.

CanadianSwiss said...

There's not much more I can say other than I agree with all above comments. It's really sad that things like this still happen today.

Anonymous said...

while I certainly agree with everyone that you handled it correctly, I am just of the mindset to blow the fuck up! I'm sure I would have ended up in a really big mess...or JAIL. I'm glad that they coward away and left you alone.

Since we aren't allowed the basic rights in this life...like marriage and health insurance, the right to adopt children (even the children that our partners have)...then I think we should all get to carry stun guns or cattle prods in exchange! :-)

Michael Lehet said...

Thank you everyone!

sean said...

you handled yourself coolly and the situation didn't deteriorate any more. it could have been much worse. glad you got out of there without any physical violence but the anger will take time to get over. sorry that had to happen to you.

Anonymous said...

Don't kids know, you have to own your faggotness before you can call anyone else one.

Anonymous said...

Not sure how I messed this post, reading it now I'm shocked but maybe not surprised. Total fuckheads!

I'm sending you love :-)

Anonymous said...

aaargh, I dint mess this post! I missed it. Oh god what a mess!!!!

The Sour Kraut said...

Oh Michael, I'm so sorry that you had this happen to you. I would have been furious too...I am just reading it! Does it help to know they were ignorant losers?

Michael Lehet said...

Thanks for the comments everyone, I really do appreciate it.

I still feel as though I did the right thing by walking away, it doesn't make me feel any better, but at least I know that I was a bigger man about the whole thing.

It just saddens me that people can't get along, why it's always got to be us against them, regardless of where you are, who you are or what you do.

Like Rodney King said "Why can't we all just get along." Oh yeah, and "Don't tase me, bro!"

Anonymous said...

Sorry I'm a little slow to comment on this one Michael. I've been remiss in keeping up with your blog of late.

First, glad you and your bud are okay and it didn't escalate into anything more than verbal harassment - as awful as it was.

Second, we have the cro-magnon evangelical hate mongers to thank for this. Just when you think their branch of the gene pool has finally been sucked down the drain, they go and reproduce, passing their ignunce (and yes, I meant to spell it that way) onto yet another generation.