Friday, May 16, 2008

When a Bake Sale Isn't a Bake Sale

I work in the "corporate" offices for a medium sized company (we have about 1,000 employees in the US and about 10K worldwide), and occassionally we have fund raisers as part of our "corporate charity" program.

Today one of the groups held a bake sale, they've been advertising it all week with flyers throughout the building, making us all salivate with the thoughts of pies with crusts made with pure lard and cookies that melt in your mouth.

There was a resounding "The Bake Sale Started" about 15 minutes ago so we all hauled ourselves to the elevator to go down 4 floors and see what magical things were being laid before us to purchase and eat.

Well, let's just say there was a whole lot of chaos going on down there, people were scattered everywhere, money was being pushed at the cashiers while others were frantically purchasing raffle tickets to hopefully win the big prize "a boombox lunch box"

As I started surveying the goodies laid out on the tables in front of me, I noticed that there were an awful lot of store brand cookies (you know the kind that the store bakes, puts in those big plastic clamshells and then slaps their store label on), store brand cakes, store brand pies.

The last time I was at a bake sale, people actually BAKED! But I guess people are too busy now with their lives that the equivalent to baking is being able to walk to a grocery store, throw some cookies covered in plastic in your cart and calling it "homemade."

As the smile on my face turned into a frown, I simply bought my raffle tickets (and hoping that I would win the grand prize) and left the cafeteria a little bit sadder than when I entered it.

There was a good thing though, as I was walking back to my desk, I passed a co-worker who had individual "things" wrapped in pink saran-wrap - could it be, a truly homemade confection? What are those? Strawberry Cream Puffs....Oh I've got to have one, I don't know how much they're going to sell them for, here I'll give you $2 that's more than they're going to charge!

Oh it was so good, and delicious, the bake sale was saved.

The only problem was 30 minutes later she came back and said "Oh they were selling them for $3, I need an extra dollar."

I'd better win that boombox lunch box combo!

4 comments:

Andrea Knapp said...

Well, the only thing even remotely - baked - in my house is the granola you showed me how to make!

LOVE it!

Michael Lehet said...

And I know that you make that with love in your heart so that's the best kind of baking EVER!!!!

Ice John's World said...

They might just ask the grocery store sponsorship directly instead of using the store-bought bakery in the bake sale. Like you said, maybe everybody is too busy.

Anonymous said...

Good words.