Friday, January 05, 2007

Some People Just Aren't Board Game People

A few weeks ago some friends came over on a Saturday night for dinner, The Roommate and I both enjoy entertaining and cooking, so it wasn't anything out of the norm.

After a nice relaxing dinner with a bottle (or two) of wine, I thought - Hey what are we gonna do with the rest of the evening? I know - Let's play a board game.

So I went to the closet and pulled out my Vintage version of Clue and threw it on the table. I remember getting this board game sometime in the early 70's and we used to play it for hours, in fact it had probably been many many years since I had last opened the box, I think a few moths flew out when I opened it.

Well, let me just tell you, there's nothing more precious than looking at the faces of a few buzzed queens when you throw a board game down on the table. It was priceless.

First there were the glances of "I'm not going to make eye contact with you, so then we don't have to play." Then there were looks of "Oh my God, what IS she thinking?" then there were the looks of "Oh ho, I'd better hurry the fuck up if I want to be Miss White instead of that old codger Colonel Mustard - we all know he doesn't get any."

So the cards were dealt and over the screams of 4 queens the rules were read.....and re-read....and then nitpicked over "oh that's not how we used to play it" to "I don't understand how to use this score card" to "What am I supposed to do with this Card, I don't like it." Oh my fucking god!

The game playing starts and one of the boys is just not having it, he's flashing his cards around and not using his scorecard, which in turn gives one of the other boys a reason to misbehave.

Well let's just say that one of the boys left to go meet a "date" and within 2 minutes of him leaving, one of the other players somehow guessed exactly who did what in which room, even though he hadn't been using his score card.

Some queens were just never meant to play board games!

4 comments:

Mrs. TBF said...

OMG - I would have loved to have been a part o f that. I looooove board games and TBF just won't play! I'd love to see the words on your scrabble board:))))

Andrea Knapp said...

We had a few board games received at Christmas....

I forgot how much fun they are!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Mrs. TBF. I LOVE board games. TMS averts his eyes.

Karen said...

I would have thought that you all would have wanted to be Ms. Scarlett. Roar!