Friday, May 06, 2005

Blinded by science

I decided to do a little science experiment.

My sweetie bought me this beautiful silver Tiffany ring for my birthday

The only problem is: I tarnish silver like there's no tomorrow, I don't know what it is about my body chemistry but I can put a good layer of tarnish on silver without even having to think about it.

My boyfriend on the other hand has the identical ring and his looks practically brand new (I think he's chemically off and it's not really me).

I had built up a good layer of tarnish, and I knew it was gonna take me a LONG time to manually remove it, so I jumped over to google becuase I knew there was a product you could buy from TV that had a plate you put in water, blah blah blah and it would magically do it for you!

I actually found out, you don't need to buy that thing, you can do it yourself!

Here's how you do it: Take a glass dish, put a piece of aluminum foil in the bottom of it. Add 1 tbsp of Baking Soda and 1 tsp of salt. Put your piece of silver in the dish and add boiling water.

A wonderful chemical reaction occurs and after about 10 minutes or so when you pull your ring out, it's magically clean. The reaction that occurs transfers the tarnish from the silver to the aluminum foil using the baking soda as a catalyst. Way Cool!

Now that's the way you should do it.....here's how I did it. I figured hell if just letting it soak in there is good, what happens if you boil it on the stove.

So I took a pan, some boiling water, added the baking soda, salt, aluminum foil and my ring. Boy did it bubble, I felt like I was brewing up some witches brew. It was bubbling almost the same as when you add vinegar to baking soda, it was way cool.

I let it boil and bubble for about 10 minutes and then pulled out my ring....it was clean! Too Cool.....but then when I dumped everything out, I realized that I transferred the tarnish not to the aluminum foil but to the inside of my pan....awh shucks! Good thing it was a cheap set from Ikea

1 comment:

Andrea Knapp said...

There is nothing better than ANYTHING from Tiffany & Co....

Really.