Sunday, May 08, 2005

An iPod Nation

It’s actually funny how the iPod has changed the way people listen to music. I have a ton of music, right now I have more than 6,100 songs on there, and that’s not even my complete collection. I can call up any music at any time, regardless of location, and have a good run down memory lane.

In the past I would listen to one CD for months at a time. Really I did, I would have a CD in my computer at work, and let it play all day, over and over and over again. I wasn’t at my desk that much and it was more like background noise anyway, so I would sit down and go “oh I like this song” and then completely forget out it again until I heard it 3 hours later.

This one day at work, my boss (who sat next to me) asked me to change my current selection (the Andrew Lloyd Webber - Sunset Boulevard). I asked her if she was tired of it, and she told me, “You’ve been playing that CD for 3 months, and that was only the time I counted.” So I changed it, and put on the CD she hated the most “Pocahontas” that selection lasted about 10 minutes.

So with that background in mind, I really have no problem listening to the same music over and over and over and over again.

But I’ve found that now with the iPod I just push the random button and I’m listening to all sorts of different music, and I hardly ever listen to the same thing twice.

It’s actually starting to freak me out.

No comments: