Friday, October 14, 2005

From an A to C, Part Deux

First of all, a guy would NEVER ever ask someone in the next stall for some toilet paper. We would never let someone else know that we were in a vulnerable position like that, instead we would take any paper (including money) that we had on us and use that instead. Don't believe me, ask your spouse/boyfriend/partner what they would do?

So it ended up there were 131 passengers on the flight (for 137 seats), I took my place at the end of the C line, I knew I was in the end so I felt no reason to start standing in line 45 minutes before the plane started boarding.

That's the funny thing about Southwest customers, they'll checkin online so they have an A Boarding Pass and they'll get to the airport 3 hours early and then stand in line for an hour just to make sure they're one of the first 10 people on the plane. In fact yesterday, I saw several elderly folks STANDING in line for about 45 minutes, that's a bit ridiculous folks.

While I was standing in line, the guys in front of me and the guy behind me started talking about Baseball....specifically the White Sox (Hey we were traveling to Chicago I should have known it was going to come up). So I took everyone's advice and just kept my mouth shut and used open ended questions to keep the conversation going and away from me. That was until they asked me who my favorite player was. At that point I fell on the floor and started convulsing so they just stepped over me and got on the plane.

By the time we got on the plane, it was true there were not a lot of seats left. I had a choice of sitting in any middle seat I wanted, it was either next to the lady that was already wearing a surgical mask, the guy who had his laptop and other electronics already splayed out, the lady with two kids (one in a seat and one on her lap). I continued to the back of the plane and chose a seat between a middle-aged guy and a youngish girl.

And I didn't even get an armrest! What's up with these people who already have one armrest all to themselves that feel they should get control of the "shared" armrest. I sat for two hours with my arms crossed like I was lying in a casket!

But at least I didn't have to touch anyone!

4 comments:

Xmichra said...

I feel the same. I was three months pregnant and graciously gave a guy my seat in the aisle so he could sit next too his girlfriend across the aisle... and he hogged the arm rest!! I tell ya, the nerve.

Karen said...

I wonder how much money the airlines actually save by not assigning seats.

I won't even get started on the whole loo topic! Let's just say that in Brazil one gets to strengthen one's thigh muscles with regular frequency! Last month, for the first time, I even saw urinals for women -- they are set into the ground as opposed to the wall. Ack! See, now you got me started!!

The Big Finn said...

Guy In Line: "Who's your favorite player?"

Michael: "I can't decide....WHO'S YOUR FAVORITE PLAYER?"

Guy In Line: (proceeds to talk uninterrupted for another ten minutes)...

GO SOX!!!!!

Michael Lehet said...

TBF - I think you hit it RIGHT on the nose!