Monday, October 17, 2005

It happens every year around this time


Well this weekend was the beginning of the start of the end of summer.

We had a beautiful weekend, it was in the 70's the sun was shining and there were no harsh breezes, it was a beautiful day to be out and about.....I took as much advantage of it as I could because I knew that we wouldn't have many days like this left, but alas there are things that need to be done.

Earlier this year I repotted my plants and moved them out onto the back porch for the summer, they LOVED IT. My Ponytail Palm grew more in one summer than it has over the last 10 years that I've owned it.

You read that correctly, 10 years. I actually have a ficus tree that my parents bought me in 1990. A few of my plants I've had for at least 5 to 8 years, and I've got a few that are only 3 years old.

Since they were outside I knew that it was time to move them in, the last thing I wanted to see after all of their fast growing was to be cute down in the prime of their life by frost. So the plants got the big move into the house (which meant that the other plants had to get re-arranged as well.) They are safely now located in their new winter home, a south facing window with two views to the out of doors.

The AC was pulled from the window and is now acting as a plant stand too. I live on the 3rd floor and we had a bitch of a time getting that AC up the first year I got it that there was no way I was carrying it back down to put in the basement.

But the true telling of the season is the fact that this past Saturday at 6:30 am......the radiator started it's annual hiss and whistle festival. Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kat said...

I had a philadendron vine (sorry about the bad spelling) for 12 years, and I finally got tired of moving it and trying to find a place the cats couldn't get to it (they are poisonous). It started out as three little leaves and at the end it filled two pots and had at least eight rather long vines.

I almost miss it.