Monday, August 22, 2005

Cirque du Soleil, Columbus and Good Friends

We have returned.

The Boyfriend and I went to Columbus, OH this past weekend to get out of town for a few days. He has several good friends that live there and I used to live there about 15 years ago when I first moved from Pennsylvania.

We arrived late Friday evening and went straight from the airport to Havana a great little bar in the Short North. We met up with a few more friends and had several rounds of strong cocktails, before we knew it, it was 1:30 and the bars were closing!

Saturday was fairly uneventful except we went to see Verakai – Cirque du Soleil.

Overheard as we were walking to the “tent” – Girl: “I heard they have elephants.” I wonder if she was disappointed when she realized what kind of circus it was?

If you have never seen a live Cirque performance mere words can not describe the wonder and amazement.

We had fairly good seats (the stage is “in the round” but we were on the back side where they enter the stage) but we were unfortunately behind one of the tent risers so I would say about 20% of our view was blocked : -(

The show is amazing, the things those performers do is just beyond incredible. The colors, the music is all just overpowering.

This was the 4th Cirque show I’ve seen, but I must say that I’m probably done with it for quite a while. There was one time when I had seen David Copperfield (the magician) every year for at least 10 years and I haven’t seen him perform in probably 10 years. It’s sort of like when you read every book that an author writes you get to “know” all about them.

Would I recommend it? Of course I would, especially if you’ve never seen a Cirque show, everyone must see at least one.

We had a very nice visit with our friends, overall the entire weekend was very low key and quiet (which was a nice reprieve).

We've got a lot of travels coming up in the next month. We're going to New Orleans over Labor Day and then going to Vegas the end of September.

3 comments:

Kat said...

Sounds like you had fun.

clew said...

Michael,

I snooped through your 43 things listing. I climbed the sun pyramid at chichen itza too. Was that not INCREDIBLE just being there??????

That was my first trip down, 1999. On our second trip (the kamitequini trip) we caught a re-enactment of the ballgame the mayans played, with the hoops and all (I'm sure you remember the ball court at chichen itza) at Xcaret. Pretty exciting.

Can we be travel buddies? ;)

Ms. NaughtyPanties said...

Michael,

I posted my response if you have a chance to evaluate. Thanks!