Thursday, August 04, 2005

Target - Baby Got Back

For those of you in the US have you seen the new Target Back To School commercial with the song "Baby Got Back....pack"?

The Target Corporation is one of my favorite stores, it ranks right up there with Wal-Mart, ok, so now you know, I'm just a redneck at heart : -) But hey I've got Wal-Mart stock so I have to shop there!

But back to the reason I'm posting.....

Target has some great commercials, there's dancing and singing and they're bright and cheerful....all the things you need if you want to remember a brand right?

Well it's "Back to School" time here so their current commercial is touting backpacks, school clothes, school supplies, etc.....but the song their using this time is:

Baby Got Back

You know the song: "I like Big Butts and I can not lie, other brothers can't deny when a girl walks in with an itty bitty waist....." Like I said you know the song, now just imagine the words changed ooh just a little bit and now they're trying to sell you Backpacks.

I think it's great marketing, what I would have really liked to have seen though was the conversation between Target and the songwriter, it probably went something like this:

"Hi Former Big Raph Star, we would love to take your song and turn it into a commercial. No we're not selling shorts or big butts we'll be changing the words and selling Backpacks to children for back to school."

Go Target....Go Target....Go Target

1 comment:

Kat said...

I love Target. It's like Wal-mart, only cleaner!