Wednesday, August 17, 2005

This is what we call THE MUPPET SHOW (and Cruising)

Perhaps you've been living under a rock for the last week and weren't aware, but they just released the First Season of The Muppet Show on DVD, check it out here.

I grew up in the 70's and I used to LOVE watching the Muppet Show, it was so bright and colorful and happy and so full of those showtunes that we all love.

When I was growing up we didn't have a remote for the TV, you actually had to get up and turn a knob, yes you had to physically turn a knob, to change the channel.

We didn't have cable, in fact we only had 4 channels - ABC, CBS, NBC and PBS and that was only because we had an antenna that ran about a 1000 feet up over the valley we lived in.

We didn't have VCR's back then - I remember the first movie we watched on a VCR was at a friends house, oh my god, to be able to actually watch a movie when you wanted to. They're father worked at the nuclear power plant, so they could afford a VCR. It was my sister, Brett & Britt (yes that was their names) and myself. That first moview we watched was Cruising with Al Pacino, that movie was released in 1980 and we probably watched it on Tape about 1982 so I was 12 years old. In a quick synopsis, Al Pacino is a cop who is investigating murders in the Gay part of NYC, so he goes undercover as a homo to try and find the guy, he goes to the gay bars, the parks and even the "film booths"......well just imagine what that was like for me, I remember that my sister and the other guys were like "This movie is so stupid" and I'm sitting there saying "No, I think we should watch this."

Somehow I've gotten off the topic of the Muppet Show. I was talking about things we didn't have back then...oh yeah VCR's.

Since I loved the Muppet Show so much but it was only on once a week, what is a pre-pubescent farm boy supposed to do? Well I had an audio tape recorder and I would set the Tape Recorder next to the TV and I would tape the program so that I could listen to it later. It was so cheesey but hey that was my VCR in those days. I would tape the Muppet Show primarily but I also had M*A*S*H.

When I would go to bed I would put the tape recorder under my pillow and I would listen to the Muppet Show as I would fall asleep, I used to know all the words to the shows, god I was a geek!

I guess that's why now in order for me to fall asleep I have to have the TV on. Which the boyfriend doesn't like and makes me turn it off before we fall asleep. He's already told me that if we move in together there will be no TV in the bedroom....god what will I do to fall asleep!

Anywho - if you want to relive your childhood, go buy The Muppet Show on DVD!

4 comments:

buffi said...

I heard that it came out on DVD. I will have to go get it for my crew! They will love it.

Thanks for stopping by!

Kat said...

I LOVED the Muppet Show. Animal, and Miss Piggy! When we went to Disney World last year we saw a 3D Muppet show, and the Ginormous guy (I think his name is Sweetums or something) came out into the theater as part of the show! It was cool. I think I enjoyed that show more than the kids!

Marie said...

I remember when we first got a VCR. There was a remote control of sorts, attached to the VCR by a long cable. I remember covering up the cable with a blanket and then pretending to my friends that the remote could start and stop the VCR *without being attached to it*, as if by magic. I suppose it will be years yet before someone invents a wireless remote that will really do that.

clew said...

HAH! I did the same thing with the tape recorder. We sure had it rough! I didn't know about the muppet show coming out on dvd, thanks for the tip. Gotta get IT! What season was ALice Cooper on? That was my favorite one ...