Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Book Review - Memoirs of a Geisha


Find the BOOK here
Find the MOVIE here

Wow, what a book. I made the mistake of watching the movie shortly after I finished this masterpiece, what a big mistake. It’s true when they say that the book was so much better than the movie.

As you are probably well aware (because the movie was just out this last year), this story is about how Chiyo became Sayuri. The book was beautifully written, the style of writing was so easy to read that you flowed quickly from page to page, I wanted to find out what happened next. That rarely happens with me. Geisha got me right from the beginning, I knew within the first 20 pages or so that I would finish the book.

It tells the tale of how Chiyo and her Sister were sold by her parents, they ended up in Kyoto. Chiyo was sent to an okiya while her sister when to a brothel. Chiyo hoped to train to become a geisha but because of the jealousy of Hatsumomo (the Geisha in her house) that dream was pulled out from under her. She felt as though she were destined to be a maid her entire life, that is until Mameha showed up. Mameha is a "rival" geisha who took Chiyo under her wing to train her to become a Geisha.

It is an interesting “period” piece as well, a piece of time between the turn of the century and the great World War.

If you liked the movie then I think you would absolutely love the book.

The details of the book are amazing, the things they can never “tell about” in a movie are explained easily and in detail so that you want to know more and more. You’ll learn more about geisha than you had ever imagined.

Now whenever I look at an Asian woman I think “Was she a geisha?”

Michael rates it: 5 out of 5 stars

5 comments:

Andrea Knapp said...

This was an awesome book. Stella lent me it to read when I flew back from Switzerland, and I read it on the flights back. The whole book. In one day!

The movie on the other hand pretty much sucked.

Kat said...

I saw the movie and it was so awesome I had to run out and get the book because I figured it would be even better! I haven't had a chance to read it yet though. It's in my stack of stuff to read!

CanadianSwiss said...

I haven't seen the movie, yet, but I have read the book a couple of years ago. And I agree: It's absolutely great!

Ms Mac said...

I've loved this book for some time now and truly I loved the movie too.

Karen said...

Wow, you have been a busy reader these days! I loved loved loved the book. Probably one of the best books that I have ever read. As for the movie ..... 'nuff said.