Sunday, May 21, 2006

Books Books and More Books

I should start by telling you that I don’t read. Well I hardly read, I mean I read your blog posts and I read newspapers and I read magazines, but I don’t read books.

When I was growing up, I was a voracious reader, but then again there really wasn’t that much else to do. In the summer when we weren’t working (I grew up on a farm so we were always working) there wasn’t a lot of other things to do, we had no VCR’s, no DVD’s, no Cable, no NetFlix, although we did have an Atari 2600 with the dual joysticks. But really, there wasn’t a whole lot to do, especially when you’re a teenager, and you can’t drive, and even if you could drive the closest “big city” was over an hours drive away. So in absence of all things to do, I used to read a lot….a whole lot.

But as an adult, I don’t read like that any longer, and the real reason is, I don’t have any unstructured free time. In this day and age of go-go-go there’s always something to do, there’s a play to go see, a movie to go watch, a dinner to eat at a fancy restaurant (well if you call Wendy’s fancy), there’s always something to do….and for me, honestly if there is something else to do besides read a book, I’ll do it.

Now don’t get me wrong, I still enjoy reading a whole lot, but it’s only when it’s the last thing to do. For example, when I go to Cancun and I’m sitting on the beach relaxing…I enjoy reading a book….but not for example when I’m at the Gay Beach and there are cute boys running around. For example, when I’m on an airplane and literally have nothing else to do, I enjoy reading a book….but once I’ve gotten to my destination, I’m done reading.

The Boyfriend reads constantly, but he has two hours a day when he’s riding the train to work and there really isn’t anything else to do….me on the otherhand, I drive to work and it takes me 7 minutes. So by the time I get to a good part in my book, I’m already at work so what’s the use in that, you know what I mean.

Also, I have no problem putting a book down half-way through. If it doesn’t keep my attention or make me care about the characters, I have no problem putting it back on my bookshelf never to see the light of day again. Others I know feel as though they have to finish a book, no matter what…me uh huh….I could care less whether the neighbor was doing what they said or find out if the baby did get hurt when it was dropped on it’s head. I have no allegiance to bad writing and poor story telling.

Well since I’ve been traveling a lot I’ve actually read a few books….yes you read that correctly I said “a few books”

So let’s see I think this’ll be a 4 parter because I’ve read three books and this post is already way too long for me. So hold in there.

4 comments:

Robin said...

I don't read as much as I'd like to or should. Part of it is th elack of a good chunk of time. But, part of it is when I do get a chunk of time, it's mostly spent channel surfing on my tv equipped with 3 billion channels of digital cable. As a member of the 80's generation, with Atari and MTV, my brain is fried, and I have a limited capacity to sit still in a quiet place to read. I'm too antsy, and I think I have ADD.

Anonymous said...

ohhh... sections!! I love these posts!

I read still, butnear as much as I would like too. The most reading I do is when we go camping, or around winter when it gets too cold out to do much else.

Anonymous said...

You should give a look at Herb's First 100 Years by Randy Perkins.
Like the Time Traveler's Wife, it is also an amazing read.

Michael Lehet said...

Thanks Lori, I think I will : -)