Saturday, January 28, 2006

Do you remember......

Where you were 20 years ago today?

Today is the 20th Anniversary of the Challenger Explosion.

It's sort of like for those people who were alive in the early 60's and they remember "where they were when they found out that President Kennedy had been shot?"

I remember (for the Challenger Explosion not the Kennedy Assisnation) that we were sitting in English class and turned the TV on to watch the lift off, I think it was right before lunch and we were "finished" with class so we could watch the shuttle. I remember it was a big production because Christie McAuliffe (the first teacher that would be in space) was on that shuttle and everyone was excited.

It all seemed so surreal at the time, almost like a television "special effect" we couldn't believe what we were watching. I remember that we were looking at each other with a look of "what's going on? Did I see what I really just watched?" There were no screams of anguish, there was no crying, there was just stunned silence.

But really to think that 20 years has passed......

8 comments:

Kat said...

I was in math. Eighth grade. It was a big deal at our school because one of our teachers had been one of the first to put in to go, or something like that. Obviously he didn't make the final cut.

We were between classes when it actually happened. When we got to class they put the TV on to show us the replay. I had a stomach ache and missed part of it.

Xmichra said...

I was in grade six, and we had an assembly in the gymnasium. I remember that the space program was a big deal, and there were so many kids who wanted to be astronauts... where did that go???

Rob7534 said...

I think I was in sixth grade. They told us in school, I think. But I didn't see anything till I saw the news on TV that evening.

I remember everyone making a big deal about it, and how tragic they all felt. I only knew something serious happend, but I was pretty clueless.

Tati said...

I was at work at Lake Forest College; the head of security called us to let us know what had happened. I remember there being much shock and disbelief and that the whole country grieved for days.

bubbles said...

I was in Kindergaten. We had space week that week in honor of the lift off and the teacher on board. I remember we were all sitting there on the carpet with the other Kindergarten classes when it exploded. Being just babes in the educational world we really didn't know what had happened. The teachers shut the t.v. off immediately whisked it away. I don't remember what happened after that. Has it really been 20 years??

Michael Lehet said...

Bubbles - OMG you were in kindgergarden? I feel so old......

clew said...

Michael, I remember it well. Can't believe it's been 20 years ...

Today is groundhog day as I post this comment. I know you like trivia so come see my groundhog day trivia if you're bored. ;)

Neal said...

Wow, I was in 5th grade social studies class and we were talking about it when another teacher came and wispered in my teacher's ear. He sat there staring at the wall for a few minutes before he told us what was going on.