Monday, January 16, 2006

Doin' The Laundry


Dropped
Originally uploaded by Michael_L.
So yesterday when I walked into Laundryland I wanted to say:

"Hello, someone left their laundry detergent outside....on the fuckin' sidewalk" But alas there were children there so I bit my tongue.

Actually me being at the Laundry is pretty funny, considering it has been years (and I mean years) since I've done laundry.

Now before you chastise me and call me lazy and spoiled and Bourgeoisie please let me explain......I don't have a washer/dryer in my apartment.

Now there is a laundry room in my building, but it's such a hassle and it's too small (3 washers/dryers) and it's usually survival of the fittest down there, plus I lost the key 2 years ago and I haven't bothered to get a new one......all because of Marilyn.

Marilyn is the lovely lady that works at Laundryland. She's the lady that makes sure the place looks nice, makes sure there are enough quarters and watching over the place, she also will do your laundry for you. She charges me $0.70 a pound to do all of my laundry, from undies to towels to sheets everything.

Normally she charges me between $15-20 for 3 to 4 weeks worth of Laundry, it's totally worth it to me. But....she and her husband are in Cuba visiting his family and won't be returning until February 1st. I was running drastically low on underwear.

Now, I need my underwear. I'm no longer in my 20's where it was "cool" to go commando....and I'm not turning my underwear inside out to make them last longer (ICK)....which meant that in order to get clean underwear, I would have to do it myself.

So I packed up yesterday and went to the Laundry....

Flo had an amazing time and I had a lot of fun too.

So much happened in those two hours, fortunately I was taking notes so stay tuned for some tales from Laundryland!

12 comments:

Rob7534 said...

Michael i'm surprised! When you run out of panties and cannot wait for the laundry lady, you go BUY some more!

I buy my undies in bulk at walmart. Undies and socks, it's cheaper!

CanadianSwiss said...

I'm so lucky - OrangeX usually does the wash at home AND irons his stuff, too! Mainly because he used to work from home a lot and now seems to have taken over that task on his own. :)

Buying new underwear would definitely financially ruin me!

Rob7534 said...

Then you may have to learn to Knit Canadianswiss :) HA! Joking! :)

Can you imagine wearing knitted underware... how bulky. Everyone would think you were wearing a diaper!

Karen said...

I suspect that whole novels could be written at laundrymats!

Michael Lehet said...

Bulk Undies from Wal-Mart Rob? What do you do with all of them?

That explains a lot my friend! I'm actually fairly particular about my undies and prefer a certain brand.

I've found that underwear is not always underwear, they're all cut differently. I'm sure the women will agree with me that when they find a set of undies/bras that are comfortable they like to stick with that brand.

Nickle Annie said...

I was wondering when you were going to tell us about Marilyn! :) I can't wait to hear of the rest of your adventure!

CanadianSwiss said...

Knit??? MOI??? Never! I don't have the patience for those things an neither would my knitting teacher! :)

Michael - I totally agree with you regarding the comfort and quality. I just spent over 425 Swiss francs (US$330!) for three set of bras/undies... And there's not that much material there either ;)

Michael Lehet said...

C-Swiss - I'm never going to complain about 3 pair for $20 any more!

CanadianSwiss said...

Yeah, but they are really nice! ;-)

Rob7534 said...

DAM! That is expensive Canadianswiss! OMG.

Michael, they are just undies... you put em on, you take em off :) Hopefully taking them off ALOT! Any cheapo brand will work. I'm not a supermodel, I don't get paid to look good in my underware :)

Tati said...

You can go 3-4 weeks without doing laundry? You must own a truckload of clothes ;-)

Michael Lehet said...

I'm embarrassed to say I do.