Friday, April 14, 2006

TV Commercials

Check Into Cash TV Commercials

We have these scam businesses here that do “payday advances” basically you write them a post dated check for $125, they give you $100 now and then in two weeks they deposit the check.  So basically for a 25% premium you get your money now instead of having to wait.

Well there’s one of those companies that advertise on TV, especially during the Judge programs, and their commercial has strangers walking up to each other and saying things like “I don’t have enough money to pay the mechanic, what should I do?”  The mechanic turns around and says “You should “Check Into Cash”” they then go onto to explain the process to this poor hapless person who has never heard of such an exciting program.

My favorite is the one in the grocery store, an older white woman between motherhood and grandmotherhood who walks up to a complete stranger in the grocery store, who happens to be black and holding a child, and says “I don’t have enough money to get the things I need.” At which point the polite black lady says “You should “Check into Cash””  What I find so funny about this is a) when was the last time you walked up to a complete stranger and said “I don’t have enough money to buy my groceries what should I do?”  and b) when was the last time you saw a white woman approach a black woman and say “I don’t have enough money to buy my groceries, what should I do?”

2 comments:

Andrea Knapp said...

Depends which store you shop at! I mean, if I'm at Tiffany's I would be quite possibly heard to say that. Now if I'm at Big Lots, not so much!!!!!

But I agree with you.

Adverts just drive me insane. American TV I think was the hardest thing to get used to when I first moved here.......

Rob7534 said...

My favorite thing about the "Check into Cash" commercials is the gesture they make everytime they say "Check into Cash". They do that stupid Checkmark gesture, and they put a big green checkmark on the screen. HA!

Yes, I'm easily amused.