Sunday, April 02, 2006

King Kong - Miniseries, Part Three

Well, I finally finished King Kong. I know that you've been anxiously (LOL) waiting for the final part of my review. I think that turning inot a miniseries was a good thing to do. I guess the main reason is because it is an action movie overall but it's also an adventure movie so I like that.

The third installment of the movie was actually the most "action packed" of the movie. There was a whole lot of Skull Island in this version, compared to the original, I guess because they wanted to show off their mastery of computer animation, and they sure showed off.

Honestly it got to be a little much after about the third "dinosaur" misadventure and I ended up fast forwarding through a lot of it. I mean come on I know how the movie is going to end and who all is going to be there, so there's no anticipation that one of the main characters is going to get killed off.

It's just like Star Trek, whenever you see a "new" character on an away mission, you know they're the one that's gonna get killed.

The last third of the movie was a little less exciting than the first 2/3rds which was a little bit of a let down, but it was the final act afterall, you've got to wind down sometime dontcha?

I was sort of disappointed that they caught Kong and then suddenly you were somewhere in the future for the unveiling, no transition other than a quick fade. I figured that with all the backstory they developed leading up to this point they might have some kind of "incident" on the boat when Kong wakes up or in a warehouse when he's being showed off to "investors." It just sort of took all that for granted....perhaps Mr. Jackson is waiting to release a Director's Cut of the movie and then release the 10th Anniversary Directors Cut after that where they fill in the WHOLE story.

I'm not going to spoil anything by saying that we all know what happens at the end of the movie, I mean it's not the Crying Game for god's sake! But come on the "ending" scene went on and on, I literally fast forwarded until just the point when he falls off the building.

I didn't realize that Kong was supposed to be KoKo, I find it hard to believe that he understood the "sign language" that Ann supposedly taught him.....

I think that Jack Black did an amazing job on this movie....I think that he really went above and beyond his prior acting for this role. Honestly I have only seen him on TV when he was a really stupid acting comedian and the previews for his prior movies, he was never one to "impress" me much, but he did an outstanding job in this movie.

Adrien Brody - not so good looking, wouldn't be the one I would have Ann fall for.

Naomi Watts - I had no idea who she was, I just looked her up on IMDB, she was in the Ring...now that makes sense.

Thomas Kretschmann - I don't know what it was about this guy, but he was very sexy. In case you're wondering who he was, he was the Captain of the Venture, woof Daddy! Also just looked him up, he is going to be Wil in the movie version of the Celestine Prophecy, a whole movie with him...I'm there (plus I love TCP I read it when it first came out and it's one of the few books I've ever read more than once).

Final Review:

Would I watch it again? No
Why? It was too long and once you've seen it, you've seen it. Plus it's 3-hours long.

Would I recommend it to a friend? YES
Why? If you liked the original version you'll love this because it just adds so much more "meat" to the story. It really makes the store come alive. The special effects are amazing, just like you would expect.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually totaly disagree with you.

jack black was the worst part of this movie. his 'acting' was typical to the point you thought he would whip off his underware and put it on his head.

I watched the whole thing minute for minute and found that it wasn't lagging anywhere BUT in the very begining. The stuff leading up to the characters departure was a bit drab, but i suppose nessesary to form the characters 'reasons' for going.

And i haven't seen the original at all. I thought this was not predictable, and maybe that was why (with the exception of the girl.. that part no matter who you are I would imagine you would know).

I would watch it again, but i like moves like this. Very similar to LOTR that way. you either walk away with 'seen it' or 'gotta see that again'.

Rob7534 said...

I don't know why, but I really have a thing for Adrian Brody! I dunno what it is either.

Haven't seen the movie yet, didn't know about the mini series either! Damn.

Kat said...

I can't see the movie. Xmichra mentioned bugs on her blog. Big bugs. I hate bugs. *shudder*

I probably wouldn't have watched it anyway. Thanks for the awesome review, I got the rundown and didn't have to sit through it for three hours! :)

Kat said...

BTW, you and Xmichra should do movie reviews together, you could be the blogging version of Siskel and Ebert! (I know, my spelling sucks)

Michael Lehet said...

Rob - I sort of agree with you, there's something intriguing about him, but you just can't look at his profile.

Kat - Oh yes there are bugs and LOTS of bugs. It was one of the scenes that I fast forwarded through.

XM - I guess I liked Jack Black's performance becuase he really came off as a sleazy, do anything for the fame and glory and the money kind of guy that Carl Denham is supposed to be. There was one line in the movie (I'm paraphrasing now because I can't remember) but they refer to Carl as a man who destroys everything he loves to get the glory. Which he does with Kong.

Don't get me wrong, I liked the movie (Enough to go out and buy it) but I guess I'm just not the "epic" story kinda guy. Peter Jackson is really turning into that kind of director

Anonymous said...

Oh i agree with the Peter Jackson assesment for sure. I love an epic film though.. so maybe there's the difference.

either way, I still love your assesments :)