Thursday, July 20, 2006

BOO - Monster House - A Review

I went to a "sneak preview" of Monster House last Saturday. I don't know what is up with me and opening nights of movies this year? The last time I went to the opening night of a movie was Spider Man and god knows how many years ago that was...so far this summer I've seen the following movies on their first day of opening:
- Superman
- Devil Wears Prada
- Pirates of the Carribean
- Monster House

Monster House was a great movie. Not sure if I would take little little kids to it, but I would probably take The Boyfriends son who is 6....oh wait, 6 and a half!

The movie is not really scary, but I mean the house does eat people so that in itself and can be a pretty scary thing for a little kid, especially one who believes in the boogie man.

I'm sure you've seen all of the previews, I mean it's been EVERYWHERE lately, but the one thing they don't show you there is that someone lives in the house...that's right, it's not an empty old decrepit house, it's an old decrepit house with an mean old man living in it.

The movie starts off with DJ's parents going away for a weekend and leaving him with a babysitter.....DJ and his best friend Chowder end up killing the old man that lives next door in the old house.....and that's when the fun starts and the house starts eating people. I'm not going to give any more away.

The movie was a treat to watch...did you see Polar Express? Well it's the same animation technology they used for that....so while you're watching it you're sort of in the phase of is it real is it animated?!?

The movie itself is very vivid, some of the shots are amazing and you remember that it's animation they can do anything with the camera that they want. Robert Zmeckis and Steven Spielberg are Executive Producers so don't go expecting to see one of their masterpieces. There are hints of them, an homage to Forrest Gump's Leaf is one.

But go see it, I think they said that they're showing it in 3-D in some locations. Apparently this "type" of animation is easy for them to produce in both regular format and 3-d, so we'll probably be seeing a lot of 3-d animated features coming out in the future.

Go, enjoy, and get extra butter on your popcorn!

4 comments:

Andrea Knapp said...

It is actually on my list of "to see....."

The part in the advert where the girls says "Thats it's uvula" and the boy says "Oh it's a girl house....." Well, that ALONE got me!

Reel Fanatic said...

The line in the trailer that got me was when the girl says "are you mentally challenged? If so, I'm certified to teach you to play baseball" .. priceless .. glad to hear they didn't pack all the funny in the trailer with this one .. can't wait to see it

Michael Lehet said...

There's a fair share of "adult" humor in the movie, I mean they've got to do something to keep us adults entertained as well!

CanadianSwiss said...

I'll just have to wait until it gets to Europe :-/