Saturday, July 09, 2005

Hot Dogs, Turn Signals and Warm Soda

A friend of mine that lives across the street from me is moving in the next few weeks. He was going to his parents (who live about an hour away) to get a sofa, chair and table for the new place, I told him I’d go along and help. So he calls me at 7:00 am and says I’m on my way I’ve got the truck.

On our way out there we were mainly on the interstates, for 7:00 it was pretty smooth sailing. Except for the people with their turn signals on. We didn’t see one or two but about four or five people just going down the interstate with their turn signals on….not even wanting to change lanes.

What I was trying to figure out was, how oblivious were these people? Were their radios turned up that high? Do they never look at their dashboard? Don’t they hear that incessant click-click, click-click, click-click? Just another clue to how clueless people are.

We made great time there and back about 1.5 hours in travel and 30 minutes there, so we were home about 9:30.

I had to go to the grocery store, but I wanted to stop at Sam’s Club as well, because some of their things are really inexpensive (salad, milk, eggs) plus there were a few things I needed to pick up (like Jolly Ranchers).

As I’m walking through the store throwing this and that into my cart it amazed me how people were flocking to the free samples. Now I’ve been known to belly up the free food buffet but today for some reason everyone was in a frenzy.

They were swarming around the lady that was giving out samples of chicken cooked in a special seasoning that was on display. They were pushing to get a sample of the bacon that some woman was frying up, and they were actually shoving each other to try a piece of the fried cheese that some man was cooking in his electric skillet.

I never really had a problem being one of those people in the past, but next time you’re at the store and they’re giving out samples, just stop for a second and take a look at how frenzied people are, it’s amazing.

I was not up for the samples, but I was getting hungry so I decided to get myself a hotdog and a soda for $1.50. I mean how can you pass up such a deal as that?

I should say that I eat a Hot Dog about as often as I eat at McDonalds. And since my friend had stopped at McD’s to get breakfast I figured what the hell, I’d just do it all in one day.

The hotdog was ok, the bun was really moist (it was 11:00 am and I had been wondering how long that hot dog had been put together) but overall it was a good hotdog. The problem was there wasn’t any ice in the soda fountain which meant that the soda was warm and it was sort of flat.

Overall it was a pretty good morning, tried to stay out of the way of morons, helped a friend move, went shopping, had a nasty hotdog and warm soda. Could the day get any better?

No comments: